Sunday morning we awoke to huge wind gust....Jeff ran to the patio to try to get our chairs put away....before he had a chance to move our grill....it fell over face first with the burners ,shelves, and propane tank falling out....it got dented up pretty good....hoping we can get it back in good working condition....
Just when we thought everything was out of harms way....we heard a loud BOOM! Went to the window and our patio table was upside down on top of our firepit....hoping it can be fixed too...not sure.....the wind was just horrible....close to 80 MPH or more....
Around 10:30am our power went out.... no tv, no internet, no cooking....no phone service, including cell service....cause everyone was relying on their cell phones to make calls the network stayed busy and it was hard to get out...if at all possible. Boy...throughout all of this I have realized , we as human beings are spoiled rotten in life.....as Jeff and I were sitting here in candle light....he said can you imagine how it was in the old days....having to write a letter by candle light and such.....we sat here most of the day and ventured out once the winds had died down in the afternoon....we went to check on my MIL and Mom and Gary and see what kind of damage everyone had..... Mom and Gary had lots of limbs down and lost several shingles on the roof and lost power as well.....My MIL had the same....she also lost a door to her storage building.....
We lost alot of limbs, had damage to our grill and patio table...and lost power....the power finally came back on at 11pm last night....
All in all ....we are very lucky and blessed cause it could have been much much worse.
I took a vacation day tomorrow to get the house in order again....since i've been home i've done 3 loads of laundry.... We had taken the food out of the fridge sunday and put it in a cooler with big bags of ice.....in hopes to salvage some.....I had to end up throwing some out....and kept some....but as far as our freezer food it is still good and frozen...thank goodness.....
Jeff went out after work and did some clean up work for the banks and a couple of residential yards he takes care of....and also loaded our limbs and branches on the trailer to haul off.....
One of the banks Jeff mows for close to our neighborhood had a utility pole snapped in half...hanging over the highway only being held up by power lines.... I would say that is what took us so long to get power....they worked on it most of the evening and night last night.... the stop light still wasn't working there this afternoon..... people just cannot comprehend what it means to treat that as a 4 way stop....until the light is fixed again.... It makes it so hard to get on the main highway..... there are some that will stop and let you go but others act like they are the only ones on the road.....burns my ass I tell ya....lol
Last night in the mist of being bored, we thought we would head over to get Jeffs glasses since they came in yesterday....and we went to Beef O Brady's for supper..... last night between the hours of 4pm-8pm.....10% of the money they made went towards a fund set up for a little boy who is maybe 6 months old or so....who was born blind....so that he can have a certain type of surgery in order to have eyesight....we had got there around 8.....so we decided to just donate $20 to them....and when we gave it to them you would have thought we gave them a million dollars....it brought tears to my eyes.....they gave us a tshirt that said ..."I helped give Trey sight"......they said Thank you so much... It's time like that I wish I were wealthy and able to give much more.... There is a website you can go to to read about it if you wish.....
Weldon R. Mauzy III (Trey) - Homepage
Anyways....I hope all is well with all of you and that everyone faired as well as we did in the wrath of Hurricane Ike.....
Until next time.....
Yup Ike sucked my Mom still cannot live in her house down in Texas....no power but they did finally get the water on. Her yard and trees are a disaster area but the house did not flood thnak god. :) Glad you guys are ok :)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had quite the time. We are spoiled aren't we. Imagine 200 years ago with no electricity, no car, no computer, no lights, no radio or TV. How on earth did they survive . . . they talked and spent time as a family. Not such a bad thing huh? That sounds like such a nice charity about giving sight to someone. Hope you have a very happy hump day tomorrow. : )
ReplyDeleteAllison
I'm glad you okay with all that wind! Have a good week.
ReplyDeleteMissie
Wow, people are feeling the affects of Hurricane Ike everywhere. I have read in quite a few journals about it and in different states too. Amazing the power of nature!!! Of course I can relate but all the storms seem to be going right around us this year. Knock on wood!!!!! I'm glad you all are ok. : ) Love ya, Shelly
ReplyDeleteWe had 80+ winds in western Pa. I lost the shingles on my garage again but we get 50 mph winds quite frequently so the shingles are always going but Ike was really, really wild here also. I was very lucky. My power never went out totally; just off and on constantly, but many parts of Pittsburgh still have no power and schools are still closed. A lot of roads are impassable. It came so fast. Ike was in Texas one and up here the next. Glad you didn't have a whole lot of damage. Love ya, Chris
ReplyDeletewow... glad you are all ok and just some minor damage... we had winds too but not too bad.. minor damage as well. My home made it through safe... except for my bird feeder :( I don't know where it is.
ReplyDeletehugs
d
That sounds absolutely crazy!
ReplyDeleteI would totally be freaking out!
I am glad you all are okay. Hopefully your grill, table can be fixed.
We didnt get wind here, just rain. Lots n Lots of rain. 8 inches in 1 days.
I would never want to live anywhere near where hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes visit. LOL Im a big chicken.
We are truly blessed indeed! It brought tears to my eyes just reading about Trey.
ReplyDeleteLove
Mom
Losing power is an inconvenience, but if you look what happened around Galveston - it could have been so much worse.
ReplyDeleteI'm gald yall are well after the wind storm. I hope yall are able to restore order to your house and get everything fixed.
ReplyDelete-Emily-
I still can't believe just far Ike made it. You'd have thought it would have died out along the way. I'm glad we didn't get those kind of winds. We just a light mist all day on Saturday and nothing more.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you guys are ok. And the 4 way stop thing? Yeah, people don't get it. I STOPPED at every intersection, only to get honked at by the person behind me. It's crap. Radio stations were broadcasting the 4 way stop IDEA.....
ReplyDeleteStill some without power here. We just had a lot of limbs down, no structural damage. My brother said he lost 16 foot of fence and a peach tree...
Angel
Hello terri, I am so relieved that you and debbie and the family are safe and sound.
ReplyDeleteThat was so wonderful of the two of you to help little trey. I am not surprised for you all are very caring people. Many people do not care enough to share with those less fortunate . That is why they were so grateful and surprised.In reality just as the poor widow woman brought her mite to the altar, God sees and appreciates us giving from the heart.
It is a mystery why the rich see the suffering in others and are not moved to action. I feel as you do, if I had more I would be able to do more. But sadly enough , even we would not be able to alleviate the poverty and suffering in the world. That is why those who do care are so appreciated. You give knowing it is like bailing water from a leaky boat with a bucket.
God bless! jun
Terri, I am so sorry I haven't been in before since your mom wrote about the storm in her Journal. I am so sorry abvout your grill and outdoor stuff. Hope things go good for you from here on out. A few years ago in the winter heavy wet snow came down and we were without power and heat for several days and it is not a fun thing to go through. Trees were down. Thank goodness no one was hurt, there. Granny Lucy
ReplyDeleteJust stopped by to say Hi. Man you guys really caught it. And yes we are spoiled. Did you notice how qwuiet it was with the elec gone. Except for the chain saws LOL
ReplyDeleteGood running account of the storm, glad you guys were not hit any harder. Amazing He had the gall to go that far inland. Heard from The Boomer un in NY they even felt his meanace up there.
TAke care out there in the Boon docks.
Jack