Tuesday, October 6, 2009

October ~ Breast Cancer Awareness

As you all may or may not know...October is Breast Cancer Awareness month....I always try to mention it in my blog as a reminder to all of my girlfriends to be aware and if you are of age get those mammies or if someone in your immediate family has had Breast Cancer alot of Dr's recommend getting a mammogram earlier than 40yrs of age...or with any detection of something that just doesn't look/feel right....

As you all do know....my Aunt Judy lost her battle with Breast Cancer in 2006.....If only there had been a cure...if only she could have been a Survivor..... If only.... :(

As you all do know my stepsister Marisa was diagnosed with Breast Cancer this year.... yesterday she had her second chemo treatment...after I got off work I went up to her room and spent some time with her...on my lunch I went up to the Gift Shop and chose 2 fuchsia colored roses in a vase and a Footprints Poem coin(with the footprints on it) and had them attach it to the roses.... for those not familiar with that poem I will share it....

Footprints in the Sand

One night I had a dream--I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.

For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints, one belonged to me and the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of my life flashed before me,I looked back at the footprints in the sand.

I noticed that many times along the path of my life,there was only one set of footprints.

I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in my life.

This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it. "Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,you would walk with me all the way,but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life there is only one set of footprints. "I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,you should leave me."

The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,I love you and I would never, never leave you during your times of trial and suffering. "When you saw only one set of footprints,it was then that I carried you."...

Author ~ Mary Stevenson

That has always been one of my most favorite poems....

Marisa loved her roses and the Footprints Poem..and we enjoyed our visit together... she was in good spirits....she was at the hospital for treatment most of the day....and then went home. While we were sitting there talking I could not help but be amazed by her.... here she was getting chemo and talking about going to work the next day(today) ...she is so strong and determined....cancer patients amaze me.... this all brings back so many memories of Judy....the strength....the fight....the will to live!

Today while I was out shopping after work...I came across something for her....a little gift I will give her when I feel the time is right. A sterling silver necklace with a pendant that says.....

"A Sister is someone to laugh, sing, dance and cry with..."

on the bottom of the box it comes in... below the necklace it says....

Each time you wear this necklace remember your sister and know she's with you always......

As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to get it for her....

I love you Marisa....Keep the FAITH ~ Never give up HOPE

Love and miss you more with each passing day Judy ...
Until we meet again

6 comments:

  1. Man you made me tear up with that quote from the necklace. I'm sure she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have done an entry for Breast Cancer Awareness month too. I'm sure your sister will cherish the necklace you plan to give to her.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet, Terri.
    Having people like you in her life is sure to help her beat this cancer.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. (((Terri)))
    I hope she continues to do well :)
    I had my annual mammogram done but my doc wants to also start doing MRIs as a back-up. I'm glad he is doing that!
    You take good care :)

    Huggers, Gayla
    PS: Here is my updated blog address: http://unfussyliving.blogspot.com/ and I'm also following you under that correct email address :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl just trying to catch up with you, it's been a while since I was over here! Waving HI! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love that poem. How sweet to give her
    a necklace. I miss my sister, you are right
    we would sing together, laugh, cry tell secrets
    and of course shop. She love shopping better than me. We also exchanged shoes and clothes.
    A sister is a gift.

    Shirl

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog...feel free to leave me some love... I really appreciate it!