Thursday, January 14, 2010

Excited and scared...

I went for my impressions for my dentures yesterday after work, several people had told me what to expect....that it would be pretty nasty tasting...and it was.

I go back on thursday, the 28th to get the rest of my extractions and dentures put in the same day.... I am getting the immediate temp/permanent set.. the temporary I will wear for 6 months, giving my gums time to heal and shrink and will then go back to have the permanent ones made/put in.....

I was really okay with everything until today....

The one thing I forgot to ask them yesterday, that is on my mind constantly.... about whether they put people to sleep there or not if they request it.... so when I got home from work I called them and asked them....

No, they don't put people to sleep there :(

I am scared, scared shitless I might add! I will have 12 extractions and have to hear every little crunching, sucking, clanging sound that is going on right in front of my very eyes!!! OMG! I want to be out of it like when I went to the oral surgeon last time...I want it to be a pleasant experience like the last time and not remember so much of it.... this time I will know every little thing that goes on, will feel every shot they give me to numb me ouchieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

If you haven't figured it out by now...I am a big baby when it comes to pain and I really am not thrilled by the dentist! I just have to keep telling myself...after all this ..it is over with, done....and someday after all the adjustments/relines it will be final.... I will never have to have another tooth extracted again...

It will all be worth it, I just have to keep telling myself that!

Please pray that all goes well for me, Thank you!

13 comments:

  1. I've got one molar left, the other molars were pulled from my ulcers rotting them so bad, and I'm close to being in dire need of dentures myself..not a matter of if, but when..doesn't look like it unless I show people, but the teeth i have left are full of bonding, every one..it's embarrassing, but I had violent ulcers that had me throwing up nothing but acid literally for 16 years...I hate the dentist too, I close my eyes and bring my own headphones to drown out the sound of the drill and try to just make it through one more minute until it's over...you'll be fine I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((((((((((hugs terri))))))))))))))))))))))) you already know i think you are very courageous. ask if they can give you a xanax or something maybe that will take some of that edge off. will they let you have an ipod or something to listen to to distract you?

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Baby I sympathize with you. I only had
    my wisdom teeth pulled but that was when I was
    in my twenties. I know you will be fine.
    I bet we see a big smile soon.

    Shirl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, this is the trick. It works for me. I do not use novacaine unless the dentist absolutely refuses to do the work without it. Or slips it in. I was busy doing my massage not paying any attention to the last dentist and he slipped a shot in. I asked him why. "Because it would hurt me to do it without giving you a shot." I told him that was all right then, I didn't want him to suffer pulling the tooth. LOL
    NOW pay attention we will have a test later....

    look at your left hand. NOte the web between the thumb and the first finger. As soon as they allow you to relax in that nice recliner and put the big bib over your boobs and front, place your hands on your stomach. Now slowly start to massage the little web with the thumb and fore finger of the right hand. Ancient chinese fact. What you feel uses the same nerve route that your teeth and gums use. If you keep the road busy, the signals of the needles etc cannot get to the brain. Proven medical fact from Dr. Jack.

    See, and you thought I was just a pretty face.
    Every thing wil be fine. ALWAYS thik like you are now, it is the end result that counts. And besides when you get through, Jeff will pet you!!!
    Love from Florida, we feel so much better!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ask for "gas" if they give it. My DR gives it to me. He will also prescribe me a Valium for each appointment.Your dentist SHOULD be a little sympathetic considering what you are having done. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    Luv n Hugs, Barb (queenb)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri, just remember the Cheeto when you were young and how well you handled it without a tear. You're worrying yourself over nothing, you'll be in and out of there in a flash. If they are anything like they were when I had mine pulled they make you feel very comfortable and at ease. It all happens so fast you probably won't even feel most of the shots and you might not even hear any crunching, the teeth will have already been pulled before you even realize it. You've been wanting to do this for years so you can smile without feeling self conscious, so instead of being worried about it for the next couple of weeks just think of how close you are to realizing your dream of a beautiful smile.

    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you strength, Terri, you'll be alright on the night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had 8 extractions and dentures put in immediately. It really was not that bad. Like you I was not a happy camper but they fixed me up so quickly they were out before I knew it. I might add those dentures fit better than any other would believe. They told me it was because he put the dentures in right after the pulling. You will be so happy with them Terri. I think what bothered me more than anything was the taste after the deadener wore off and that was gone by morning. Think how pretty your smile will be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure all will go well. Can you listen to music while they're working, like maybe an ipod or something? That might be good. You could close your eyes and just listen to the music and ignore what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (((Terri)))
    I know you're scared and so was I.....terrified! I was lucky that my the dentist let my hubby sit right there, just a few feet away from me. He was out of the way but just knowing he was there was everything to me. One thing I would do for sure because your so nervous is have them call you in some Xanax. Do this ASAP! Trust me, You will be so happy that you did. It will make this process, the extractions, getting your dentures put in right there much easier. But truthfully, and I would not ever tell you a fib, it wasn't that bad Terri. The whole thing from start to finish went by quickly and I had 10 teeth pulled. And it was FAST! Those teeth were extracted quickly and easily. Top teeth come out easy and most bottoms do to.
    I still have my healing denture just in case my permanent one ever breaks and I can't get somewhere to get it repaired...it's nice to have it! But your healing denture and your permanent denture are different. The healing one is good, but when you get that permanent one it's awesome!
    Take care and let us know how you're doing :) You're going to do great!
    Hugs, Gayla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it weird that I'd rather be awake than asleep during procedures? LOL

    I just don't trust anesthesia, I guess.
    But you're going to be just fine, Terri. I promise. :)

    Just focus on that beautiful smile you'll soon have.

    Oh, and maybe take an IPod or something with you as a distraction, perhaps?

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terri, you may have gone already to the dentist ad got the extractions If so I hope you are getting used to them by now. When they get all settles in I expect to see you with those pearly whites, smiling so big. Thank you for understanding about my sleeplesness and I know you can empathise knowing your mom had the same problem,

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terri I have an award for you on my Day to Day blog and i8f you can please come in and snag it. You will be able to eat and enjoy it so much more with your new teeth. You do not need gas. This will go just fine and you are scaring yourself. Like mom said you will be fine. Oh and once they are settled in and you are used to them you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog...feel free to leave me some love... I really appreciate it!