Saturday, June 14, 2008

Happy Fathers Day!

           

As you all may or may not know, I was raised by a single mother...and we lived with my grandparents till I was 12yrs old...

My Grandad was the first actual "Father Figure" in my life, and always viewed me as his youngest daughter....not his oldest grandaughter.....we were buddies when I was little...I have a picture I cherish...of me sitting on his lap with a grin from ear to ear holding a crisp dollar bill in which he had given me for a weekly allowance...I thought I was rich =) 

I was a rough and rowdy little redheaded girl, and a handful i'm sure...but Grandad was always there with a hand reaching out to help when needed....when I had just graduated high school...I was babysitting to make a little cash...and got the call one day from Mom...asking if I would want to come work at the Furniture Factory in which many of my family members worked at....my grandad would be the foreman, my boss.... of course I jumped at the chance....  I worked there 3 months and was laid off...for almost a year...and then went back.... the year in which i was laid off my grandad retired from there....he was a wonderful foreman...I was blessed to have had him as my first boss...and know he had a hand in me getting that job, and I am thankful....I worked there almost 8yrs...till they closed the doors.

In 1999 my grandma passed away, it was the first time I had seen my grandad cry, and it broke my heart into a million pieces....he had lost the love his life...the mother of his 10 children....since then he has had many health concerns and surgeries....and has withstood everything that has come his way....in losing a daughter, my aunt Judy in 06'....I saw my grandad cry once more....a thought i will never forget....he has been through so much...and with the love and comfort of family....he got through that as well.... not a day goes by that grandad doesn't think about grandma and Judy....

My grandad has the most kindest, loving and gentle heart of anyone I know...I have to honor  him this Fathers Day....because he has been there for me since the day I was born....and shown me what "Love"  and "family" is all about....  I Love You Grandad!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I was 6yrs old...my mom started dating my stepdad Gary...they dated for 5yrs.... I didn't warm up to Gary so much at first cause he was stealing my mama from me....or so I thought...haha  Many times as they went on dates....they would take me along too...something they didn't have to do...but Gary being the wonderful man he is....welcomed me with open arms....eventually I warmed up to him...and when I was 12yrs old...my Mom and Gary got married, meaning we moved out of my grandparents home...a sad day and happy day..all in one.....sad because we were moving out of my grandparents home, all i had ever known....but happy to finally have our own "Family" and a home to call our own....and another "Father Figure" in my life.... Gary had 2 other children of his own, my stepbrother Michael and stepsister Marisa....they would visit on weekends....when able.  I always felt as if I was his "own" as well, he made me feel safe and secure....something any child hopes to feel around their dad..... I happen to meet my husband...through my stepdad....and I have him to thank for it....cause had he not needed a ride home from work that day, my life wouldn't be what it is today....he introduced me to the love of my life.... and on July 29th, 1995.... my "DAD".....walked me down the aisle...and gave me away at my wedding....

Gary...Thank you for everything you have done for me in my lifetime....but most of all thank you for being my DAD.....  I love you!!!

           " HAPPY FATHERS DAY"

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Very nice tribute to a man you call Dad.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome entry!!!   Happy Father's Day to both..
    hugs
    d

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautifully written entry!!

    LORI

    ReplyDelete
  4. WoW!  Your entries brought me to tears tonight.  ~Ann~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tributes! Happy Father's Day to Jeff today!
    Love
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so sweet Terri!!!  Made me a little teary eyed. lol  Happy Father's Day to your "Dad"!! Love you!! Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful entry Terry and so well written.  I felt like I was there and knew your granddad.....my grandpa was a father figure to me for four wonderful years also.  Well no wonder we think alike!!!!  Lotsa hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just an absolutely  beautiful and heart felt entry, thank you for writing it.

    God Bless
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sent tears rolling!

    Happy Father's Day , a little late :)

    ~Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  10. did you knonew game on line MyMiniCity check it out                                          http://425-galloway.myminicity.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you knonew game on line MyMiniCity check it out                                          http://425-galloway.myminicity.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog...feel free to leave me some love... I really appreciate it!